“By This All People Will Know That You Are My Disciples…”
“By this all people will know that you are my disciples…” Jesus said that. But it’s just one-half of a complete thought.
We know it’s important.
- The Son of God is saying it.
- He’s talking about us—those who profess to follow him, to be “of him.”
- What he has in mind has to do with our influence for good on others. People around us will know that we are Christ-followers by … something.
Clearly, what Jesus is saying is important.
If we had never heard his complete statement, we might make a variety of guesses as to how Jesus finished his sentence. “By this all people will know that you are my disciples…
- …by the name that you wear.”
- …by your abiding in the right doctrine.”
- …by your functioning with the right sense of organization.”
- …by worshiping in the right way.”