The development of young hearts matters to God.
My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. (Prov 3:1-4)
Young people can grow to be fantastic examples in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity (1 Tim 4:12). But, they do not develop these qualities by accident. They must be taught, molded, led, and equipped to form faith of their own. Parents, teachers, and mentors must walk with them and guide them.
We take our Bible classes very seriously at Laurel Canyon. Our goal is to use God’s word to shape and inscribe seven fundamental truths on the tablets of young hearts:
1. A grasp of the big picture of the Bible (Acts 8:30-31; 18:26)
2. Respect for authority (Eph 6:1; Lev 19:32; Rom 13:1; 1 Pet 5:6)
3. A sincere commitment to personal purity (2 Tim 2:22; 1 Cor 6:19-20)
4. Solid reasons for faith and hope (Rom 1:16; 2 Tim 1:12; 1 Pet 3:15)
5. The ability to make wise choices (Prov 3:13-18; Col 4:5)
6. A “God-first, others-next” way of thinking (Matt 6:33; 22:36-40; Phil 2:3-4)
7. An authentic, developing connection with Jesus (John 15:4-5; Matt 4:4; 1 Thes 5:17)