The Churches of Smyrna And PergamumSeries: New Testament Churches
Part 1, Smyrna
Bible References: Revelation 2:8-11
- 1. How do you think the culture in Smyrna might have had an influence on the church?
- a. In what ways do you think culture has changed the church in the past 2000 years?
- b. Culturally speaking only, is the church here at Laurel Canyon different than say the church over on West Broad or Watkins Road or in Logan Ohio?
- 2. How could the Christians in Smyrna be rich, and poor, at the same time?
- a. Would you consider the Church at Laurel Canyon to be monetarily wealthy?
- b. In what ways have you seen Christians be generous with their money?
- 3. What were two persecuting powers they had to deal with in Smyrna?
- a. Can we suffer persecution here?
- 4. What encouragement is there today for the Christian struggling financially or feeling overcome by various tribulations?
Part 2: Pergamum
Bible Reference: Revelation 2:12-17
- 5. In what way might the culture in Pergamum have affected the church there?
- a. In what ways has the access to information been a good thing and a bad thing for us today?
- 6. What positive things did the Lord point out about these churches?
- 7. What were the two main problems in the church at Pergamum?
- 8. How shall the church deal with tolerance, compromise, and apathy?